Thursday, October 6, 2011

GoodNAS for movie streaming

I purchased an inexpensive D-Link DNS-321 2-Bay Network Attached Storage in 2008 and installed a couple of 7200 RPM 500 GB Seagate hard drives that i had lying around. I know for a fact that Seagate drives are loud, so at first, I didn't mind the noise of either the Drives and the fan the NAS had. I thought that it was normal for the NAS to try to keep itself cool. But even with ffp installed my NAS would not keep the temperature down and the fan would be running at a high rate with a high pitch noise. I went as far a drilling holes on the NAS to help the very pittifun D-link air intake pull more air into the unit...
Ever since , I've used it to stream movies to a D-Link media player (which was awful), XBOX 360(ok, but many movies did not work, a Western Digital TV(probably the best movie streaming experience except for the interface which sucks),  and most recently an Apple TV2 (good interface, and with some hacks ,plays all movies now even with iOS5.1).
Just recently, I was running out of storage space and I jumped on a sale for a 2 TB drive. I decided to buy the Western Digital 2 TB Green Drive to replace the 500 GB drives on it. Boy, was it a great surprise! The green drive has made with my little NAS smooth and quiet. First of all, the drive is very quiet (5900 RPM) and keeps itself cool better due to the lower RPM, so the NAS fan is not constantly spinning at a high RPM.
The noise level, overall has dropped significantly. Now, I am very happy with the drive so far; speed is good enough for movie streaming, even in HD. in the future when i again run out of space, i will purchase the same drive to fill the other empty spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment