Saturday, October 1, 2011

Apple TV goodness

Just when you think that all is gone, then we get pleasantly surprised... ;)

After feeling disappointed with vanilla Apple TV. I installed a custom version of the atv firmware and XBMC a few months back and had a pretty good setup to watch movies streamed wirelessly from my DNS-321 Network Attached Storage.

Recently, I was tinkering with my Apple TV; I just wanted to install a particular plug-in to listen to music. That is when everything started to go to hell. One thing after another, started to fail, until I decided to reset the atv to factory default.

Right after the reset, I realized itunes had upgraded the firmware along to the latest and greatest release. And when i went to re-flash my custom firmware version, which i had built using the pwnage tool, itunes complained that atv was not eligible for the custom firmware version.

After some preliminary research,I discovered that one tool by firecore.com was able to make a custom image for the current version on my atv. so i went ahead and got the tool, built the image with the latest firmware and tried to flash the atv. Same result. I was starting to get pissed and frustrated. why did i even try to do anything in the first place? of course i tried several times with the same result.

A week went by, and i had not found any solution to my problem.

so, on my day off, i researched some more (and by research i mean googled), and found a solution to the not eligible for requested build error of flashing with my custom image. Apparently, I'm not the only one who tries to do this sort of thing. The solution, involved commenting out the apple server on the host file of the os. "It can not be that simple", I thought. but it turns out, it is that simple.

so after the successfull flash, i went on and ssh to the atv and got greeted with a prompt. So, all that i needed now was to get nitoTV and reinstall all the plugins that i had previously installed.

and, that goes to show me, that patience and knowledge payoff, so for me life is good again....

No comments:

Post a Comment